Executive Director of Public Safety and Security
Public Safety and Transportation
The Executive Director of Public Safety and Security is the primary leader in establishing best practices for planning, organizing, leading, directing, and controlling security, safety, transportation and parking operations of the university and the extension campuses. This critical position is responsible for the emergency management and public safety strategic planning for the current and future needs of the department and ensuring support for the University's Momentum 2 strategic plan. This position is responsible for administering daily public safety and crime prevention activities through subordinates having ultimate responsibility for departmental activity and operations in the area of law enforcement, safety, security, emergency operations and public services. The Executive Director will promote and foster a positive work environment for emergency management, parking & transportation and public safety, ensuring that University employees, students, constituents, and visitors adhere to federal, state, and local rules and regulations, and all University policies and procedures.
In compliance with New York's Pay Transparency Act, the annual base salary range for this position is $120,000 - $140,000. Adelphi University considers factors such as departmental budgets, scope and responsibilities of the position, candidate's work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, as well as market and organizational considerations when extending an offer. The above hiring range represents the University's good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.
Adelphi University provides a comprehensive benefit package for faculty and staff employees. For a list of benefits provided to employees, please click here.
REPORTS TO: Chief Administrative Officer
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Work closely and collaboratively with university leadership, all academic, administrative, and service units of the university, federal, state, and local law enforcement, and other public service agencies regarding university public safety operations.
- Command the overall Public Safety, fire/safety, parking & transportation, crime prevention and security operations of the University 24/7.
- Maintain an in-person presence on campus in order to conduct essential functions fully and appropriately, including but not limited to, supervising Public Safety employees, participating in meetings with students and employees, engaging in university leadership activities, and overseeing the university's safety, security, and emergency management needs.
- Establish rules and regulations for the department within University policy guidelines and following local, state and federal laws.
- Design, implement and maintain organizational structures and/or changes that may include updates to policies, procedures, practices, training, recruitment, hiring, and retention.
- Direct and coordinate all emergency policy and procedures for the University.
- Coordinate and assess parking and transportation services on the garden city campus;
- Oversee and direct all University criminal investigations.
- Oversee all aspects of transportation for the University.
- Direct crime prevention and investigation efforts; analyze incidents, crimes and conditions to ensure the early detection of pattern or trend in an effort to effectively deploy resources.
- Oversee all NYS Security Guard Licensing requirements to assure full compliance.
- Coordinate ongoing investigation training and report writing for all uniformed personnel.
- Work closely with InfraGard, ASIS, SCAN, SPIN and Citi Shield organizations.
- Collaborate and partner with federal, state and local fire and law enforcement on all emergencies, criminal investigations and crime prevention efforts.
- Oversee compliance of all NYS and Nassau County life safety inspections.
- Oversee and update the university Emergency Operations Plan, including oversight of the Emergency Operations Center, while ensuring the Department and University is in a constant state of readiness.
- Oversee and maintain fiscal integrity within the established budget for the department. .
- Responsible for the management of the University's Rave Alert System.
- Oversee, direct, and update the Public Safety business continuity plan, the security operation for all University special events, and the compliance with the New York State Department of Education's Jeanne Clery Act to disclose campus security policy and campus crime statistics.
- Maintain the public safety website and assure that all policy and crime reporting statistical information is up to date, accurate and timely.
- Be an active member of applicable Public Safety and law enforcement organizations.
- Maintain an intercollegiate council (ISSEMC) to enhance resources, create a network of communication, broaden training opportunities, exchange timely information that will impact our communities, and increase the safety on our campuses.
- Oversee the university Behavioral Intervention Team.
- Serve as an active member on a variety of committees.
- Oversee reporting options for students and employees.
- Oversee Locksmith operations.
- Work occasional nights and weekends and be available via cell for University emergencies.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS: (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Strong Knowledge of the Campus Security Act (Clery Act).
- Strong managerial and analytical skills.
- Ability to be organized and pay attention to detail.
- Ability to assess expenditures and budgets
- Ability to prioritize workload according to volume, urgency, etc.
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Strong computer skills for using Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Email. Google Docs, Google Sheets and more.
- Knowledge of Local & State Penal laws and Federal Laws (UCR/NIBRS).
- Meet frequently with local police, fire, FBI, Secret Service, and Homeland Security.
- NYC Fire Safety Directors training course.
- Ability to direct, coordinate and participate in all emergency situations.
- Bachelor's degree in criminal justice or a related area is required.
- Master's degree is preferred.
- Minimum of seven years of Public Safety/Law Enforcement experience is required.
- Progressively responsible experience with at least two years of supervisory experience.
- Budget management experience.
- Experience in a University setting is highly desirable.
- Experience working with unions is preferred.
- Maintain certifications in CPR, First Aid and AED.
- Associate Director of Transportation and Administration.
- Captain of Emergency Management, Fire Life Safety and Training.
- Office Manager.
- Project Manager.
- University Locksmith.
- Union Public Safety Officers.
Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded, nationally ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research university dedicated to transforming students' lives through small classes with world-class faculty, hands-on learning and innovative ways to support academic and career success. Adelphi offers exceptional liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training, with particular strength in our Core Four-Arts and Humanities, STEM and Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health and Wellness. Recognized as a Best College by U.S. News & World Report, Adelphi is Long Island's oldest private coeducational university, serving more than 7,500 students at its beautiful main campus in Garden City, at learning hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson Valley and Suffolk County, and online. The University offers students 75 undergraduate programs, more than 70 master's degree and doctoral programs, and 55 certificate programs in the liberal arts, the sciences and professional training. With powerful partnerships throughout the New York area, more than 118,000 graduates across the country, a growing enrollment of students from 44 states and 65 countries, and rising rankings from top publications and organizations, Adelphi is a dynamic community that plays a leadership role on Long Island and in the region.
To apply, visit https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=ADELPHI&cws=39&rid=3028
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency