Campus Safety Officer
Requisition Number: 2021S002Posting
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Division: Dean of the College
Department: Campus Safety
The Office of Campus Safety is responsible for maintaining a safe and secure living and working environment that is conducive to learning and is consistent with the academic goals and policies of the institution in an environment of respect.
Our primary concern is the wellbeing of our students, staff, faculty and visitors. Campus Safety personnel are recognized and authorized with NYS Security Guard status.
Accountable for providing patrol and dispatch (911) services to ensure the safety and security of the university community. Responsible for monitoring all university community members for adherence to the Student Code of Conduct and university policies.
Specific duties include but are not limited to the following:
This position has been designated as a Campus Security Authority (CSA), in accordance with the federal statutory requirements of the Jeanne Clery Act. CSAs are required to and responsible for reporting allegations of crimes they receive from students and employees to the Campus Safety Department.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required along with the ability to interact effectively in a diverse community.
- Ability to multitask and perform in a busy and stressful environment is essential.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to complete assigned tasks and follow up efficiently and promptly is essential.
- An understanding of the constraints and legal/ethical requirements of confidentiality and privilege of information required.
- Must be able to successfully complete the five day Security Officer Academy or demonstrate successful completion of the NYS Police Officer Basic Academy.
- Must be able to successfully complete the departments Campus Safety Officer Field Training program for both components of patrol and dispatch.
- As a designated essential employee, must be able to remain on duty beyond normal shift or report to duty without advance notice; must be able to work any time of day, day of the week and holiday. Ability to work a rotating schedule.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, enough to enter data, and familiarity with CAD or Banner desired.
- Experience with access control, closed-circuit television (CCTV) or two way radios desired.
- Previous related work experience as a campus safety/security officer or police officer, and/or prior experience working in a college or university public safety environment is preferred.
- Experience in recognizing and resolving and/or referring to emergency and stressful situations highly desired.
- Knowledge of local and state laws desired.
High school diploma or equivalent required.
Associates degree in criminal justice or related field or equivalent military experience preferred.
This position works a 6/3 rotation and the typical shift is 1600 0000 or 0000-0800, subject to change based on the needs of the University.
Job Open Date:
Job Close Date:
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions Summary
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking, familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
CAMPUS CRIME REPORTING AND STATISTICS
The Campus Safety Department will provide upon request a copy of Colgates Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. This report includes statistics as reported to the United States Department of Education for the previous three years concerning reported: 1. crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Colgate University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus and 2. fires that occurred in student housing facilities. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security and fire safety, such as policies concerning sexual assault, life safety systems, and other related matters. To obtain a copy, contact the Campus Safety Compliance Manager via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also access the report from the Campus Safety web page at: www.colgate.edu/offices/support/campussafety.
To view the full job posting and apply for this position, go to: https://careers.colgate.edu/postings/3201
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency