This ad is expired.
Campus Architect and Deputy Building Official
Job no: 506077
Work type: Management (MPP)
Location: Monterey Bay
Categories: MPP, Administrative, At-Will
Classification: Administrator II
Anticipated Hiring Salary: Commensurate with Experience
FTE / Hours: 1.0 or 40 hours per week
Open until filled. Applications Reviewed as Received.
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement, California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB) is a mid-sized comprehensive baccalaureate and masters granting university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives through a focus on student success and engagement through project-based learning, service learning in its regional community, and the promotion of multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond campus. CSUMB is both a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) and a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and has a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7,400 students. The university's Strategic Plan prioritizes inclusive excellence through recruiting and investing in the development of a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators. CSUMB's sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral by 2030. The university's faculty and staff, many of whom live in the East Campus housing development, appreciate living and working so close to the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, CSUMB offers excellent benefits, including access to below-market-rate campus housing and competitive salaries for faculty and staff.
Reporting to the Director of Campus Planning and Development, the Campus Architect & Deputy Building Official is responsible for the enforcement of all applicable building codes and standards; and provides leadership of the design process, coordinates with user groups to develop project requirements, supports construction phase, and is responsible for ensuring the design integrity of capital projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Building Code Compliance
- Validates the code compliance process, written code validation prior to starting work, issuance of certificate of occupancy.
- Responsible for campus-specific building code administrative and operational control, and ensures compliance with the California Building Code Requirements and Buildings Standards, including coordination of permit issuance.
- Reporting relationship to the California State University (CSU) Director of Architecture/Chief Building Official as it relates to the compliance with California Building Code. The incumbent issues written construction/demolition authorization for each project and maintain a record of all authorizations, including those required by Office of State Fire Marshal and Division of the State Architect have been obtained.
- Directs, oversees and coordinates the construction team (i.e., Project Managers, Project Coordinators, Inspector of Record(s) and assigned staff, as required for each capital project in design and construction; and has primary responsibility for the proper management for, and enforcement of, the California Building Code to ensure that construction projects conducted on property owned by the university are completed in compliance with the code, related laws, and regulations.
- Ensures compliance with Industry standards, specifications and regulations required for public safety. Advises on building code analysis, interpretations and code evaluations. Administer and oversee code audits on existing buildings for code compliance. Regulates external/internal collaborative problem-solving activities associated with the construction industry. Works with other code enforcement officials to identify, assess and determine viable solutions to problems. Provides oversight of code compliance program, permit process and inspection records.
- Provide direct oversight and coordination with the Architectural/Engineering (A/E) firms and Design Professional who develop contract documents, support bidding, review changes, and provide consultant services.
- Capital Outlay Projects
- Provides leadership and administrative oversight for the assigned functional areas, and is responsible for developing facility architectural design standards, guidelines, technical specifications and details to be used by architects, engineers, consultants, and contractors in the design and construction of major and minor capital projects on the campus.
- Develops and maintains campus architectural integrity by developing standards and guidelines for building materials and finishes. Develops and presents alternatives to the campus leadership for review and approval.
- Ensures compliance with all California State University, state, and federal operational and construction codes and standards.
- Develops and manages the project design review process to ensure consistency with campus design standards and guidelines. Implements and coordinates design review for assigned major/minor projects, and coordinates discussions with the Facilities Planning and Construction Teams and campus leadership.
- Develops and administers architect/consultant selection criteria and process. Work collaboratively with the Facilities Planning Team to oversee the work product of the consultants.
- Develops Request for Qualifications (RFQ) and/or Request for Proposal (RFP) documents and coordinates services and contracts in support of major/minor capital projects. Manages the selection process for architectural and engineering services consultants and contractors.
- Participates in university task forces and special projects as required.
- Performs other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge and skill in the design and construction phase contract administration. Working knowledge of architectural services, estimating, and construction specifications. Working knowledge of applicable California construction project Building and Safety Codes. Technical skill in reading and interpreting specifications, drawings, surveys and studies. Strong knowledge of architecture, construction management, structural, mechanical, electrical and civil engineering.
- Perform on-site inspections to evaluate work in progress and investigate problems such as design interpretation or cost modifications.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of methods, procedures and practices typically found in project management, contract management and construction related California building and safety codes. Ability to analyze problems, reach practical and logical conclusions, and make recommendations for changes.
- Ability to read, understand, interpret and work from plans, drawings and specifications. Demonstrated ability to prepare or assist in the preparation of cost estimates, construction specifications, drawings, contracts, records, presentations and reports.
- Demonstrated ability to independently research, interpret, develop, communicate and implement regulations, codes, policies, procedures, guidelines and precedents regarding facilities information and project management.
- Demonstrate ability to collaboratively work with representatives within the campus and public/private entities and handle potentially sensitive situations appropriately. This includes demonstrated consultative skills in working with internal and external constituent groups.
- Thorough knowledge of the California Building Code.
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills including a thorough foundation in English grammar, spelling and punctuation to effectively communicate standard information.
- Highly developed analytical skills as required to complete research, produce reports and develop appropriate policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates competence in understanding, interpreting, and communicating procedures, policies, information, ideas, and instructions.
- Ability to build and sustain collaborative working relationships with a variety of individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- An understanding of the dynamics of diversity in higher education and a demonstrated ability to incorporate this understanding, as appropriate, in all levels of your work.
- Ability to be effective in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with frequently changing priorities.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college/university with an undergraduate degree in engineering, architecture, or construction management, or a closely related field, or any combination of education and experience that totals at least 10 years. Experience in the administration of the Building Code.
- One of the following license:
1. A current State of California Architect license or ability to obtain the license within 1 year of appointment.
2. A current State of California Professional Engineer license or ability to obtain the license within 1 year of appointment.
- Certified Access Specialist (CASp) designation.
- An advanced degree in closely related field.
- Seven years of progressively responsible professional and administrative experience involving public works design and construction. Experience in the administration of California Building Code.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT AND POSITION DESIGNATIONS:
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
- The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- This position has been designated as a sensitive position with responsibility for the care, safety and security of people (including children and minors), animals and CSU property and authority to commit financial resources of the university through contracts greater than $10,000.
- This position will have responsibilities that require the employee to possess a license, credential or other certification in order to meet minimum job qualifications and/or to qualify for continued employment.
Specify license, credential or certification required:
- California State license to practice architecture
- Certified Access Specialist (CASp) designation
- Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the University's liability coverage.
- May require occasional evenings and/or weekend work.
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. Position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time. May require travel between campus offices and off-campus locations.
There are components of this job which are deemed essential on campus. This position will primarily work on the main campus, with occasional work from home. This position requires working on campus with students. The health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff remain our highest priority. In the fall, students, faculty, staff, and the community can expect that masks will be required and that the appropriate degree of social distancing will be in place in all areas based on evolving guidance. Additionally, all students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to be vaccinated before coming to campus. All community members who work or attend class on campus should expect to participate in a random or periodic testing system. CSUMB will communicate more information about vaccination requirements and testing protocols when the details become available.
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental and vision plans; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 14-paid holidays a year. For more information, visit CSU System Benefits. Additionally, University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability; visit Employee Housing for more information.
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at csumb.edu/jobs. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned.
CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting University Personnel at (831) 582-3389. All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics, you can view the notice of availability and access the Cal State University, Monterey Bay annual security and fire safety reports at https://csumb.edu/clery/asr-and-fsr-notices-availability/.
Employees are required to comply with COVID-19 requirements. For the CSUMB's most current masking and vaccination requirements please visit: https://csumb.edu/health/coronavirus-information/.
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms and strive to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. We consider qualified applicants for employment for their anticipated contributions and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
To apply, visit https://careers.csumb.edu/en-us/job/506077/campus-architect-and-deputy-building-official
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency