Assistant General Counsel & Deputy Chief Advisor- Global
About the Opportunity
Assistant General Counsel & Deputy Chief Advisor - Global, as part of the Office of the General Counsel, advises the university on a variety of global matters, including international student and scholar program compliance; global mobility and international hiring/employment; global programs; international contracts and business transactions; global laws, policy and regulatory compliance, and U.S. sanctions and embargoes, and on complex issues relating to the global operation of the university and higher education in general.
A. 65%- Specifically, partner with Enrollment Management, Global Campus Network, Global Experience Office, Student Affairs, Office of Global Services, Provost's office, Registrar's office, College/Campus Deans, University Human Resources, Finance/Tax, External Affairs/Federal Relations, Compliance, and Global Safety Office, to promote international student compliance; global mobility of students, faculty and staff; and international hiring for Northeastern's global campuses and global program locations. Draft and/or review guidance, supporting letters and other documents as necessary for university approved global programs, international students and scholars, global mobility, international hiring and international travel.
B. 20%- Effectively manage institutional client and partner relationships, including communicating clearly both orally and in writing with clients, department/college key contacts, as well as with government agencies. Partner with Enrollment Management and the Global Experience Office to plan and operationalize global programs. Track all client communications and government correspondence. Assist clients in gathering necessary information/documents. Provide educational trainings to the university community and undertake special projects as assigned to represent the university in a variety of global legal matters. As a member of the Office of the General Counsel team, serve on committees/teams. Participate in the selection and supervision of students in the Northeastern Law School co-op program.
C. 10%- Keep current in, and compile reports and analyze data, to promote compliance with global laws, regulations, and policies as well as other federal, state/provincial, and local laws and regulations, rules, agreements and treaties between countries, and university policies. Provide relevant training/education and communications to the university community.
D. 5%- Other matters as may be assigned from time to time by the General Counsel, Deputy General Counsel and/or Senior Counsel & Chief Advisor- Global.
- BA/BS and JD from an accredited law school, with 6+ years of relevant experience, including with an in-house legal department or law firm. Specialization in international law a plus.
- Experience with immigration, international law, global mobility, and international regulatory compliance required
- A solid business focus with practical risk awareness and the ability to deliver risk-calibrated solutions to allow the university to achieve its goals
- Unwavering good judgment and ability to apply legal knowledge and practical advice to help solve critical business challenges
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work independently and multi-task in a fast-paced environment with competing demands, as well as to work well under direction/supervision
- Well-organized and detail-oriented with excellent follow-up/response skills
- Ability to collaborate proactively and effectively with colleagues and business partners and as part of a team
- Self-motivated and able to work well under pressure
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Familiarity with global/immigration higher education practice preferred
- Experience with cross-border business and corporate issues preferred
Legal and Regulatory Administration
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://northeastern.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/careers/job/Boston-MA-Main-Campus/Assistant-General-Counsel---Deputy-Chief-Advisor--Global_R107974
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency